There are only a few basic “best-practice” procedures to keep in mind to successfully use biodiesel. Essentially, it comes down to the basics: Use clean fuel. Keep it clean.
- Purchase your biodiesel blend from a trusted fuel supplier
- Treat your storage tanks for moisture with a moisture-dispersant
- Use of a biocide is recommended
- Add or upgrade in-line filters with those that are biodiesel compatible
- Add a fuel/water separator
- Take steps to minimize in-tank condensation, by keeping tanks topped off
If your on-farm fuel storage system is due for replacement, adopting biodiesel can be a good reason to do so. Take similar steps to clean and protect equipment fuel systems. Be prepared to replace fuel filters more often, especially in the early stages of your biodiesel blend usage. Fuel filters for current diesel engines are very efficient, but they cannot do their job if they become overloaded with contaminants.